I decided to start doing a monthly blog where I tell you how I really feel on certain subjects. It can be anything so if you have something you want to know my feelings on, please feel free to ask!
I have had a few people ask me if I’ve ever done a cleanse? My answer is always “Hell no!” Why? Because I’ve done my research and I have found nothing that states that it is really as healthy as some people make it out to be. There are some articles that state they are healthy but honestly all of them seem to be from people who are endorsing a product. Every article I’ve read that is from an unbiased person says they really provide no beneficial outcome. In fact, to me they seem to have worse side effects than any good.
One article that I found from www.everydayhealth.com states that detox diets often have a placebo effect where the individual feels better because they believe they are doing something good for their body. The article also lists some reasons why cleanses will a lot of times do more harm than good.
· A sudden increase in fiber-heavy fruit and vegetables can lead to bloating, gas, and possibly diarrhea. This may be one reason that people believe that detox diets 'cleanse' the digestive system.
· Detox diets are not recommended for teenagers, pregnant women, or people with health conditions because of the danger from not getting enough calories and proteins.
· People with a tendency to addiction may experience a "high" from detoxing that may lead to dangerous eating disorders.
· Detox diets do not result in long-term weight loss. These diets are only meant to be used for a short period, and most people rapidly regain any lost weight once the diet is over.
· There is no real evidence that a detox diet is any better at getting rid of toxins than your body's own natural defense mechanisms.
Our bodies are created to provide its own detoxification system. If cared for properly we really don’t need to force it to detox.
We all have toxins from our food, pollutants in the air, drinks containing alcohol and caffeine, etc. There are certain things that you can do to help your body naturally release toxins.
· Drink plenty of water.
· Limit alcohol and caffeine intake.
· Try to eliminate processed foods. Eat fresh/natural products.
I really wish more people did research before starting any type of restrictive diet. I know that diet products all warn you to consult a physician before starting, but how many people actually do it? Do you know what is actually in the product you are using or how it could affect you? All articles I have read have a certain thing in common…. They all state the scientific evidence is lacking to support the benefits of cleanses.
I try to stay open minded to things but it does frustrate me when I hear people complain about needing to lose weight but they don’t want to work for it. Instead they do a cleanse for a week, lose weight (which for the most part is water), gain it all back, then complain again! I am open to feedback on this though. If you’ve done a cleanse before how did you feel? What was your purpose of starting the cleanse? Did you get the results you were wanting? I like to educate myself on all aspects of weight loss and nutrition so your input is greatly appreciated!
Hi my name is Whitney and I'm a mom to 2 adorable boys and the wife to a sports loving, handsome man. I'm outnumbered but wouldn't have it any other way. I'm navigating motherhood one fart joke at a time. Welcome to my crazy life!