Ahh food prep. It's a love-hate type of thing with me. Some days, like last Sunday, I caught the food prep bug and whipped out a bunch of stuff. Then there are other weekends where I literally have to drag myself off the couch to make any food for the week. I'll let you in on how I start food prepping for the week:
1. Plan your weekly meals. I'll explain the way I do it later!
2. Make your grocery list off of that list.
3. Go shopping!
4. Decide what can be made ahead and what cannot.
5. Chop up all your veggies and fruit. Put away what you don't need to cook along with other stuff.
6. Start by cooking your meat first. If I have more than one recipe that calls for hamburger or chicken I make it all at once and separate it once it's cooked.
7. Boil eggs and pasta in one pan. Not at the same time tho! I will boil my eggs and once they are done I'll add water and get it boiling again for pasta. I would rather use one pan and have less cleanup. I hate dishes more than anything!
8. Bake things that need the same heat at the same time. While I have one thing baking I'll prepare the next, that way it's prepared by the time the other stuff is ready to come out. You can of course bake things at the same time if that works out as well.
Food prep is hard to explain because you kind of get your own "flow" as to what works best for you. The best way to figure out the best routine for you is trial and error. It's a lot of work but knowing that you don't have to do a lot of these steps multiple times throughout the week is awesome especially when you're busy with work, workouts, kids, etc.
Hi my name is Whitney and I'm a mom to 2 adorable boys. Here you'll find our story of infertility, adoption, grief, and hope. I'm an open book so you'll never know what I'll post next!